2021-22 GSO Leadership Board
- President: Adryanna Major
- Vice President: Greg Matousek
- Secretary/Treasurer: Isabella Goetting
- 1st Year Rep: Marston Copeland
- 2nd Year Rep: Johnny Chiles
- 3rd Year Rep: Katherine Parham, Debopriyo Biswas
- 4th Year Rep: Ethan Mancil
- 5th Year Rep: Baran Bodur
- 6th + Year Rep: Erin Conley
Members of the leadership board are elected by all graduate students in the middle of the summer and serve until the following year's election. The board meets monthly to discuss committee progress, plan for social activities and ensure all students are informed of current issues and concerns. The President oversees meetings, organizes volunteers for committee work and confirms that every leader and volunteer completes appropriate tasks. The Secretary/Treasurer records meeting minutes and manages the GSO budget. Each class cohort has a representative who is tasked with being the liaison between his/her class and the leadership board.
2021-22 GSO Committees:
- Colloquium Committee: Achint Kumar & Gregory Matousek, Co-Chairs. Members choose the field of physics that will be represented along with the specific speakers and organize the lunches with the colloquium speakers.
- Curriculum Committee: Jay Runge & Gregory Matousek, Co-Chairs. Members serve with faculty, including the DGS. They are tasked with reviewing the graduate curriculum and make recommendations for change as necessary.
- Graduate & Professional Student Government (GPSC) Representative: Ethan Mancil. Student representatives serves as a liaison between the graduate school at the GSO Leadership Committee.
- Election Commissioner: Gregory Matousek, Chair. This student oversees the GSO elections in the Spring and Fall (for incoming students). In addition, he/she administers the Graduate Student Survey.
- Graduate Student Seminar Committee: Son Nguyen, Chair. Members organize the graduate student seminars: recruitment of speakers, venue reservation and food order for complimentary lunch for all attendees.
- Intramural Sports: Johnny Chiles, Chair.
- News/Web Committee: Maria Acevedo, Chair. Members work with administration to collect, maintain and improve departmental communications both on the website and in general.
- Recruitment Committee: Isabella Goetting, Chair. Members work in conjunction with staff and faculty on the recruitment events in the Spring.
- Social Activities Committee: Johnny Chiles & Ethan Mancil, Co-Chairs. Members coordinate and manage all social activities (Welcome Picnic, Tea Time, Cookie Time, S'mores and Cider, Thanksgiving Dinner, T-shirt Design Contest etc. etc.)
- Graduate Representative to the Physics Conduct Accountability Committee: Isabella Goetting and Emma van Nieuwenhuizen, Co-Chairs.
- Outreach Committee: Katherine Parham, Chair. Members organize and participate in various outreach activities (Also check PhysicsOutreach@Duke - separate GPSC group)
- Professional Development Committee: Adryanna Major and Marston Copeland, Co-Chairs
- Teaching Assistant Committee: Adryanna Major & Emma van Nieuwenhuizen, Co-Chairs.
- Undergraduate Outreach: Gregory Matousek, Chair. Members organize events toward Duke undergraduates in coordination with the Duke SPS (Society of Physics Students)